Monday, October 20, 2008

I Used To Hate Best Buy

I used to hate Best Buy. My boys, on the other hand, never seemed to have a problem with the glaring fluorescent lights and cacophony of noise from televisions, video games, laptops, stereo systems, etc. 30 seconds into a visit, my head starts to pound in reaction to the overwhelming assault of electronics, all competing for my attention. When I go to Best Buy, I can’t get out soon enough. Last Friday, I visited a Best Buy that had recently opened near my home. I prepared myself to get in an out as fast as possible. Deflect the assault.

From the time I entered, I knew something was different. There was carpet on the floor. Numerous skylights filtered in natural light. I sensed some noise, but it was not overwhelming. A series of pod style displays invited me to shop, to browse. Amazingly, I could see over the display racks. What was going on here? Turns out, Best Buy has received a woman’s touch. For their newest store in Aurora, CO, Best Buy turned to women customers and asked them to help with a design overhaul. The result is a far more pleasant shopping experience. The new store features electronic products working together in homelike “rooms”, and the warehouse style blue interiors, and corresponding metal shelving, have been replaced with wood paneling and carpets. I struck up a conversation with a female manager, who enthusiastically showed me around the store, and informed me that 55% of the store employees were women. Impressive.

It is estimated that women influence 80% of all buying decisions. What are you doing to appeal to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment