Monday, March 30, 2009

Decompression Zone

Have you noticed that salespeople are really “on it” these days? I enter a retail establishment and within seconds an exceedingly pleasant individual is asking how they might help me purchase something. In their efforts to show an eagerness to assist, they make me a little nervous. “Get back!” I want to say, “I don’t even know if I am going to muster up the courage to actually purchase something – give me a minute!” Turns out a minute may be exactly what I need.

A recent Business Week article reported that shoppers use the space just inside an establishment’s doors as a “decompression zone”. They will not notice signs placed in this area, rather, they will take in the total picture, (sights, smells, sounds), and assimilate themselves to being in the store. Then they will naturally turn right and head further into the establishment. Consumers respond best when approached approximately one minute after entering.

The next time a client enters your office, don’t pounce. Give them just a minute, and let them decompress. You might find it provides you a competitive edge.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori
    I love the new site, outstanding job!

    Great Blog Post too,

    Extraordinary patience and perseverance, along with a dose of courage are required in these challenging times,

    ReplyDelete