Monday, November 16, 2009

Burning Down The House

One of my favorite clients, Griffis Blessing out of Colorado Springs, recently had happen at one of their communities what many have experienced, and all dread - a building fire. I have been involved in the aftermath of more than a few building fires in my career, and let me tell you, there is nothing more heartbreaking than the complete devastation of hope on the faces of victims that didn't have the foresight to purchase renter's insurance, as they gaze at the burned out building that used to be home. It just breaks your heart. When I asked,"How many?" the regional immediately knew what I was referring to, and said, "Eight apartments were affected, and every one had renter's insurance." "All of them?" I asked. "We require it. They can't move in without it. They all had it."

Suddenly the tragedy, while devastating, was not nearly as profound.

If you don't mandate your residents purchase renter's insurance, you should. They may adhere kicking and screaming, but all it takes is one tragedy to drive the importance and value home.

No comments:

Post a Comment