Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Keep It Short

I received a request to complete a survey today regarding my experience for a one night hotel visit earlier this month. It was the second request I received, and I figured since they asked twice, I would go ahead and complete it. When I clicked the link, I was informed the survey would take me from 7 to 10 minutes to complete. I clicked back off.

If you want feedback, keep it short, and in context with the experience. I don’t have time to spend a quarter of an hour, or a coffee break, or the time it takes me to write this blog, to complete a survey regarding a one night visit. Now, if the survey took 3, or even 5 minutes or less to complete, or I was offered something in return for my time, I would have happily complied.

Keep it simple. Ask relevant questions that provide insight, and most of all, respect your customer's time by keeping it short.

2 comments:

  1. Great point, Lori - our time is expensive and asking a customer or client to spend 10 minutes on a survey is a bit out of the question. I would say my patience would allow me 60 seconds before I dumped the survey screen. Thanks for sharing.

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that interesting? I can't tell you how many companies lost my perspective because, like you, I got halfway through the survey and said, "Too much! I don't have time for this!"
    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete