Tuesday, April 14, 2009

That's Hot!

Today I had the fortune of visiting a doctor’s office for one of those tests that it nearly kills you to schedule, but that you feel pretty good about once it’s done and you know everything is still in working order. The center was new, modern and sleek and the experience completely transparent. Smiling employees guided my visit every step of the way and explained exactly what was going to happen next. The nurse directed me into a well-appointed changing room and handed me a gown. That’s when it hit me – the hospital gown was heated!

Two children and a number of other medical conditions have never resulted in a positive hospital gown experience. I have spent many hours shivering in chilly doctor’s offices in gowns that are always thin, usually falling apart and devoid of any reasonable coverage. Imagine my surprise as I slipped into a toasty warm, sturdy and roomy hospital gown. The impact was profound. All I could think was, “Now that makes a difference – they really figured out what bothers people and provided a solution.” Even better yet, everyone in the waiting room was talking about the warm gowns, and I bet, like myself, they will tell one of their friends or family about their experience. What did it cost? Most likely the heating device was not inexpensive, but the return generated in client satisfaction levels will justify the initial investment.

What kinds of little things do you think your residents tolerate but would never even consider complaining about because “that’s just the way it is?” Imagine the impact in identifying those challenges and providing solutions. At your next team meeting, pose the question. Look for answers. Change it up a bit. Deliver the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment