Monday, March 1, 2010

Intent vs Reality - What are You Saying?

I always learn something when shopping properties.
Sometimes I discover a new technique or have the opportunity to see an expert in action.
This week, I learned there is a big disparity between intent and reality.

Visit 1 - Leasing professional shows me a lovely property, but keeps telling me to “Go visit the website” for the daily prices. This is said repeatedly, even though I have indicated that I am looking for my mother, she has just put her home on the market, and isn’t even convinced she wants an apartment. There is no attempt to have Mom come in, experience the place, etc.. (although when I suggest it, they say, “Sure! We’d love to show her around”. No “I will take care of you, and make sure your mother is happy” moment. Just, “Go visit the website for further information. Your quote will be good for 72 hours”. Why would I rent an apartment online at this point? My mom hasn’t even seen it.

Intent: “I am being helpful and giving you resources.”
Reality: “In this market, all anybody cares about is the price, and I know that. So make sure you see the prices and are OK with them before you waste my time again. Come on back when you really ready to buy.”


Visit 2 - While in the golf cart, the bubbly leasing professional says, “I need to tell you about four things, because “they” will be emailing you to make sure I covered them”. She then goes on to tell me about her guarantees and that part of Mom’s rent will be put aside for a home down payment. (Mom is selling her house, remember. She doesn’t want to own anymore.) When I ask, “What do you get for telling me about all this?” she replies, “I get to keep my job.”
It gets better. As we leave the apartment, she says, “I know you’re not ready yet, but I have to ask, would you like to leave a deposit?” I just look at her.

Intent: I might get shopped and will get in big trouble if I don’t hit all the bases, so I am going to say things that you and I know are completely irrelevant to your buying experience and I will cushion the blow by removing myself from the equation. This way everybody is happy.”
Reality: I just threw my company under the bus because they have made ridiculous mandates that you and I both know are irrelevant to your needs. Frankly, I resent it. I will do it, but I will let the client know it’s really not me that is talking, it’s the corporate heads. After all, I need to keep my job, but I also need to lease apartments.”

Visit 3 - I dub her the “speed talker” because I only understand every 3rd word. (Remember, Mom has just put her house on the market, and isn’t with me), yet I am told about how I can’t use the double doors in the fitness center because they didn’t work, that I am to come in and out a specific door, and pretty much hear every rule and regulation as part of the sales presentation. And this is relevant to me, how?

Intent: I am funny and witty and keep the tour going nicely.
Reality: I have been here a long time and have my shtick is just right and it ensures somebody is talking. It also ensures I do not have to think.

You know I can’t finish there...

If you are a corporate executive, or anyone that creates policy and guideline, understand the more you force people to “follow the script”, the greater the chance an irrelevant presentation will be delivered. Seth Godin wrote in his blog last week about compliance and innovation. The more we demand people comply, “i.e., You will tell each client about each of our corporate programs”, the less innovative they will become. There is nothing wrong with mentioning company and the quality professed. Nor is there anything wrong with talking about company programs - as long as the client listening cares. Start placing more focus on the result rather than the process. Rather than mandating, focus on hiring the right talent, and teach technique in building trust, listening skills and following through.

Leasing professionals - you know how much I think of and value your talents and profession. You are my peeps. That said, it is time you wake up and step up to a higher level game. First, never throw your company under the bus. It makes you look bad. Start listening to what your clients are telling you and be responsible to help them get what they want. Be accountable to always, always, seeing it through. Think about what you are saying - does it matter? Is it relevant? If you find yourself saying the same exact thing at the same exact crack in the sidewalk during every presentation, change it up! Take a different path, try a new technique, have more fun. Understand the pitfalls and consciously work to avoid them. If you have a challenge with the criteria for shopping reports, then take the initiative! Create one that you think is fair, and be able to validate your reasoning. Then get it in front of somebody that can influence the decision. Stop sitting on your hands and work to control your destiny, if you value innovation in your presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment