Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You Choose.

A few years back, I was walking through the busy streets of downtown San Francisco, on my way to a client meeting. I stepped into a busy intersection, and, (to this day I swear I didn’t trip), fell down, face first into the street. There I lay, my brand new Coach briefcase vulnerable to being run over, (never mind myself - get the bag!) as everyday citizens stepped over and around me. I lifted my head, and in the corner of my eye, noticed a yellow vehicle approaching, and thought, “I am going to be run over”.

Then, there she was. A tiny sprite of a woman with a Herculean heart. “You need help!” she said, and somehow, that teensy woman, picked me up and dragged my sorry carcass off the street, while I muttered, “Get the bag...get the bag...” She got that, too.

At the corner, she steadied me, and said, “Are you alright?” I nodded, and pulled a twig from my hair, suddenly aware that my ankle was swelling to twice its normal size. “You be careful!” she advised, and was gone to the crowd before I could thank her.
The story doesn’t end there, but that is not the point of this post. Reflecting later, I wondered how many people had chosen to simply step around or over me that day, too consumed with their own issues to help the crazy lady laying in the road. In the end, that didn’t matter, because one chose to make a difference - to consciously stop and assist someone who needed her help. She chose to make a difference, and for that I will always be grateful, though I will never know her.

Everyday, we make choices as individuals to either get involved and make a difference, or not. Will you be the one who steps forward, unprompted, the next time someone needs you? Step up and help, or leave me in the street and steal my Coach bag.
You choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment